?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
10 December 2007 @ 04:41 pm
Weird question...  
I am apparently becoming allergic to almonds. I wasn't that last time I was tested, but I've checked with Home Snacking and it's pretty much confirmed. I hear tree nut allergies can cross over and such, and I like pretty much every nut on every type of food I eat. Do y'all know how to keep it from becoming too much of a problem? Would it be to eat lots of nuts so my body gets used to it or to avoid them so it doesn't progress as fast?
 
 
Current Mood: curiouscurious
 
 
 
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on December 11th, 2007 12:46 am (UTC)
AVOID AVOID AVOID!

An allergic reaction is you body responding to what it sees at a looming threat, attacking it as if it were a virus or bacteria. the less you eat, the less chance of Very bad Things happening.
Frittersfritters on December 11th, 2007 01:26 am (UTC)
Thanks! I was afraid of that. I'll find something else other than almonds to toss on all of my rice and noodle dinners then, probably cashews...
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on December 11th, 2007 01:28 am (UTC)
CAREFUL, though, k? Those nut allergies can be SNEAKY...
Fritters: TT BB ergh? by ellonwyefritters on December 11th, 2007 01:33 am (UTC)
That's what I was concerned about. They're about the only snack in my low carb diet, and I'm already 5 pounds over the maximum I told myself I'd ever get. I sure as hell don't want this crossing over to peanuts or cashews.
Vocabulary/Back Scritches: beware - athfspazzychic on December 11th, 2007 12:51 am (UTC)

Chuck is off-again-on-again lactose intolerant, which sucks for him because he'd live off of cheese if he could. He finds that if he doesn't eat cheese for a while, he can have a little without a reaction. If he overdoes it though, he gets the bad sick and even a tiny bit of cheese mixing in with his food will get him for several months.

I don't know if these parallel but I thought it would help.
Frittersfritters on December 11th, 2007 01:26 am (UTC)
It sounds like that's about right. I'll taper off of almonds onto other nuts, then. Thanks.
Byron: icebergzenin4711 on December 11th, 2007 01:49 am (UTC)
Lactose intolerance isn't an allergic reaction. You can have a milk allergy, but it's completely unrelated from lactose intolerance.

An allergic reaction is an (invalid) immune response.

Lactose intolerance OTOH is lacking the enzyme lactase required to digest lactose. Very, very different.

The advice about benadryl is good (possibly life saving).

Allergies, AFAIK, never get better only worse. Additional exposure, rather then building up a tolerance, can expedite worse reactions.
Fritters: Cat licky -  by sunflower_sarifritters on December 11th, 2007 02:08 am (UTC)
The only reason I thought exposure might help is because I know that they gives shots of small amount of allergens to help people be less allergic. Or at least they USED to, I'm not real up on this or I wouldn't be asking.

Amusingly(?) enough, I also have a milk allergy, and you're right, it's totally different.
Byronzenin4711 on December 11th, 2007 02:43 am (UTC)
The only reason I thought exposure might help is because I know that they gives shots of small amount of allergens to help people be less allergic. Or at least they USED to, I'm not real up on this or I wouldn't be asking.

Really...interesting. I always thought allergies were allergies, but perhaps it's not so simple. :-/
postrophe on December 11th, 2007 07:06 am (UTC)
I once had allergy shots against many trees, flowering plants and grasses, and ordinary house dust (supposedly my biggest reaction was to that.) For a long while that worked wonders, starting about a year after the shots began. However I recently showed an allergic reaction to dogs, and that had been part of the mix I'd been shot with.. I guess I got a new reaction, or the old allergy came back.
I intend to start the shots up again soon...
lironesslironess on December 11th, 2007 01:33 am (UTC)
A new allergy can occur at any moment. Start carrying benadril, just in case. If you feel funny or think you may have accidentally eaten an almond take them EVERY FOUR HOURS FOR 24.If you can't take benadryl, find another anti-histamine that you can take. If you feel bad, GO TO THE HOSPITAL. An in debt fritters is way more awesome than a God Forbid dead one.

DO NOT EAT ALMONDS. Eat the others unless they start causing symptoms. Any itching, swelling, coughing. Bananas make my teeth itch and I can't scratch them. (My teeth that is)

My mom is DEATHLY allergic to all nuts. And they hidden in a lot of things.

They make a lot of stuff in restaurants with almonds. When in doubt, take a anti-histamine before you go. Consider making a business card for the cook that says PLEASE do no put any almonds in any form in my food, or cook my food on a surface that may have almond residue. I have a very bad allergy and I could DIE from it. Thank YOU!!
Fritters: Ed Stars by Frittersfritters on December 11th, 2007 01:37 am (UTC)
I'm not that allergic to them, thankfully. I just get redness and swelling near my mouth and sometimes a very temporary rash, with a touch of ItchyPain. And this is after eating like half a bag. But I'll be avoiding them from now on, yeah. I don't think I need to go to extremes, yet, though, thankfully. I just don't want this bubbling over into any other nut allergies. I can do without almonds 364 days a year, but cashews and peanuts? Not so much.

Yeah, I know some nut allergies can get mondo awesome bad. I know some people can't even eat things that peanuts have been within a few feet of without dying. Which is why I wanted to know immediately the best way to start taking care of this, before it balloons.
lironesslironess on December 11th, 2007 01:41 am (UTC)
Please put some benadryl in your purse, just in case..... <3
Robyn Goodfellowrobyngoodfellow on December 11th, 2007 02:52 am (UTC)
Almonds aren't actually nuts, so as far as I know, there shouldn't be any kind of crossover allergies with tree nuts. Despite what is commonly believed, the almond is not a nut.

I would however, keep an eye on your consumption of peaches and nectarines, which are from the same family.
And I completely agree with the suggestion to carry around anti-histamines. Always a good idea if you have an allergy.
Robyn Goodfellow: thingyrobyngoodfellow on December 11th, 2007 02:54 am (UTC)
And peanuts aren't nuts either (they're legumes, a la beans and lentils), and again, any allergies should not cross over.

But still, almond allergy = :(
Frittersfritters on December 11th, 2007 06:07 am (UTC)
Other than switching to cashews on my noodle and rice dishes, it pretty much only affects me if they use real instead of artificial flavors in my Sugar Free Torani syrup. I make cream Almond Joy drinks occasionally.

Still, uber-glad it shouldn't cross over.
Fritters: Gir YAY! by wilkins04fritters on December 11th, 2007 04:55 am (UTC)
OMG! What good news! I can live without peaches and nectarines, although granted I would occasionally get bitchy on the peach point. I like the idea that cashews should continue to be nice and safe.
Matthew B. Tepper: Don Martin's Mona Lisaasimovberlioz on December 11th, 2007 05:12 am (UTC)
My dad used to say that his father was deathly allergic to walnuts. But a few months ago, my cousin Jerry heard this and said, "You mean Grampa Charlie? No he wasn't; I saw him eating walnuts once." He didn't qualify it was a remark such as "...just before he died, aged 89," so I'm guessing the allergy went away somehow.

My family is full of nuts anyway.
Fritters: Zim google-eyes by inanefritters on December 11th, 2007 06:18 am (UTC)
It may be life threatening if I ever meet them then...
Matthew B. Tepper: Great-uncle Ludwig Satzasimovberlioz on December 11th, 2007 08:02 am (UTC)
You've known me for how many years? Again that kind of nut, you're already immunized.
Fritters: Smell the Rats by Frittersfritters on December 11th, 2007 08:51 pm (UTC)
Anyone who goes to LASFS CAN'T be allergic to nuts...
krystalemerges on December 11th, 2007 06:00 am (UTC)
I had heard about a program giving children with peanut allergies, small regular doses to desensitize them...see more about that below...
but as peanuts and almonds are different, this info probably does not translate, although this link might lead you to better info than the average 'layperson' can provide you with.

found at:
http://allergy.immunodefence.com/

Progress Against Peanut Allergies
Small doses of peanut protein, given for months under medical supervision, can desensitize children with peanut allergy, reducing the risk of a reaction if they accidentally eat peanuts, according to a new study.

In other new research, scientists say they have found a way to predict which children are likely to outgrow their allergy to peanuts.

Both studies were presented Saturday at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology in San Diego.

Continue reading "Progress Against Peanut Allergies" »

Tags:
| egg | immunotherapy | peanuts | study |
Fritters: AD - Osaka Looking About by frittersfritters on December 11th, 2007 06:21 am (UTC)
Thank you for the link! I'll poke around!