Log in

No account? Create an account
19 July 2005 @ 02:38 pm
My insurance will provide 1k for medical services for fixing up my shoulder. Now's the hard part. How do I find a cheap yet good doctor in my area? The idea of calling a thousand doctors in my area and getting base prices seems ludicrous (and won't tell me if they suck or not), yet all the web directories I'm finding seem pretty shallow (and won't tell me if they suck or not). Does anyone in the San Fernando Valley area know a good cheap doctor or does anyone on the web know of a good reliable site online for finding a doctor, perhaps with a ratings feedback system? I've looked around and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
Current Mood: confusedconfused
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on July 19th, 2005 11:53 pm (UTC)
What happened to your shoulder?
Fritters: Ed Resting by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 12:25 am (UTC)
Car accident tendon stuff. I've been trying not to bitch here too much. But I figure a big wide fishing post will get more responses ^_^
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on July 20th, 2005 12:28 am (UTC)
*nods* have you consulted your local physical/sports therapists? Or a Masseuse? I've got a friend who's a massuse, she knows all sorts of homeopathic-esque help for ailing body parts!
Fritters: TT SF Blushing by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 12:47 am (UTC)
I've been to a chiropractor who has said to do lots of cold but no heat no heat no heat and to take excedrin and rub it this way but never this way.

And I don't know any masseuse's or sports/physicla therapists. That's kinda why I was asking for suggestions on who to call ^_^ There are so many in the phone book and I've only got so much money and I don't wanna have to go through three people to find one good one and then run outta money, you know?
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on July 20th, 2005 12:50 am (UTC)
yeah, how do I know, lol
Fritters: Ed Confused by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 12:54 am (UTC)
Actually, talking about it has really helped, I've already come up with a good plan of action. If no one suggest someone specific in the area in this post, I'll probably call my chiro and ask him who he suggests since I trust him...
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on July 20th, 2005 12:55 am (UTC)
Trusted medical personell = GOOD!
Fritters: Ed Confused by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 01:01 am (UTC)
Yes, I have only one, but I do have ONE, so I suppose the circle should enlarge from there.....
Austin Bueltmearn4d10 on July 20th, 2005 01:08 am (UTC)
It ought, it ought. Safety net, if nothing else.
lironesslironess on July 20th, 2005 12:08 am (UTC)
If you can go to a sports injury orthopedist, even if you can only go a few times. If they send you to physical therapy, take notes so you can do it at home when you run out of money. Im not sure how to find the Dr.. Maybe websearch sports injurys, Los Angeles?
Fritters: Ed Peering by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 12:26 am (UTC)
We thought about that but Martin's concerned a sports injury doctor will be more expensive than a regular one and I'll get less for my insurance dollar. What do you think?
lironesslironess on July 20th, 2005 12:40 am (UTC)
I think that twice with a specialist is worth more than 5 times with and non-specialist. Tell them upfront that you have a budget and see what they say. They should be able to give you imformation that you can use at home. I still think you should consider useing a scarf sling for a few weeks. You can always cheat and slip your arm out when you need to. I'm thinking get the weight of your arm off of your shoulder, and rest it as much as you can. I had a back injury that hurt for a year untill I wore a brace for several weeks to rest it.
Fritters: Ed Resting by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 12:51 am (UTC)
I trust my chiropractor above all ( I suppose I should ask him for referrals) and he says that immobilizing an area does all kinds of things to it that he really doesn't recommend. He seems very very knowledgeable, unlike some doctors who say things that seem like common knowledge, he'll say something that you may or may not agree with and then explain exactly why you should be doing it.
lironesslironess on July 20th, 2005 04:36 am (UTC)
Chiropractors are all into movement. My current GP is too. I know for me rest can help but everyone is different. I think you should ask him for recomendations. It's at the least a good starting point.
postrophe on July 20th, 2005 02:18 am (UTC)
Agreed. All the guys at my work talk about injuries and strains, and they all say to go to a Sports Doc - he'll Fix you the first time. He'll cost, but it's still better than having to just keep going in every month for years...
One of my CowOrkers does Jiujitsu, and mentioned how his knee used to go gou all the time during sessions, until he finally abandoned all the HMOs and "specialists" they have, and found a sports doc.


Fritters: Ed Peering by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 02:36 am (UTC)
Do you know of any in SFValley?
Lady Pixelladypixel on July 20th, 2005 03:52 am (UTC)
My personal experience with a sports injury doctor was that they cost WAAAAY too much and they SUCK at their job.

Case in point: I have minor birth defects in both knees which cause them to dislocate randomly. I had a major dislocation (admittedly, this particular one was about 15 years ago) and ended up having to go visit the doctor. My mother took me to a recommended and supposedly high-quality sports physician.

His recommendation was to "go easy on the knee for a while" and to "build up my hamstrings and my quads so I won't ever dislocate it again" and suggested that I avoid the sport that I dislocated my knee at.

I pointed out that I had a birth defect, and he looked confused, then looked at the X-ray of my knee again and said "Oh. Well, nevermind then, you're screwed."

... yeah. Great doctor. My personal physician gave me recommendations on different hot and cool packs, suggestions on painkillers, and showed me some exercises I could do to actually keep my knees stronger. That was far more helpful, and he actually had a clue what to suggest.
lironesslironess on July 20th, 2005 04:33 am (UTC)
So do they still dislocate? Mine stopped when I took up belly dancing.
Fritters: Ed Peering by Frittersfritters on July 20th, 2005 06:01 am (UTC)
Who did you go to?
lironesslironess on July 20th, 2005 10:16 pm (UTC)
Angelika Nemeth, and then Fahtiem. Both have websites and teach in various different places. Both are great. I've got to get back into it but it's summer and the regular classes wont start for a while.